Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2008 11:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE]
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 11:27:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fenderfreek] [#1]
Unfortunately, these things get asked on a weekly basis.

Very good article - AeroE, please, please, please tack this.

ETA: Adding ma96782's guide, Edited and made pretty by AssaultRifler -

AeroE will probably shoot me, but I took a stab at editing Marks getting started tips keeping most of the original content, changing the order of a few things, and making it flow better in the spirit of getting it added to the Forum Resources.  I'm not trying to steal Mark's work, just edit a bit.  Mark wrote it, it's his writing.  If added to the Forum Resources we can just post a link to it and save some bandwidth in the forum.  Here goes:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Getting Started:
by ma96782

Originally posted 24 September 2008:

To begin on your path to re-loading. My suggestions would be to:

1) Get a hold of some books and check the Internet.
2)  Invest in a re-loading manual (or several).
3)  Learn the processes that one must go through in order to produce a round of ammunition.
4)  Get an idea of how certain jobs are done and take notes of the choices available to do the job.
5)  Get a mentor and/or go to classes that might be held by the local gun shop or gun club.

Suggested sites:

1) Safety hunting.about.com/library/weekly/aareloadsafetya.htm

2) What you’ll need www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33  

3) Overview of the Handloading Ammo process en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading

4) Re-Loading Pistol Ammo www.reloadammo.com/relsteps.htm

5) Re-Loading Rifle Ammo rifle-company.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=911  

Substitution of components:

The Manual writers/publishers and editors, decide what's their safety margin and each will have their own threshold for safety. Load data between various manuals will vary.

Each manual contains many WARNINGS.

One popular warning, is against making any “substitution” of components, as it may be dangerous.Try reading this subject: How do changing various components affect chamber pressure and velocity?

www.frfrogspad.com/miscelld.htm#components  

From Speer:.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Reloading data published by SPEER are for SPEER bullets. Many of our bullets are of unique construction; there is no such thing as "generic loading data" any more. Other bullet makes may produce significantly different pressures and velocities. We make no warranty that our published loads are safe with another make of bullet. You, the reloader, bear the ultimate responsibility for knowing your firearm, loading equipment, and techniques.  

So, what do you do, if you don’t have the exact re-loading components as mention in the book?

It isn't always practical to wait until you have the exact components.

In that case search available resources and various internet web sites. Even contact the manufacturer. Always remember to start low and work your way up.
Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don’t. Most re-loaders will not just "pick one" from the book or reproduce someone else’s load and expect the best results.

Suggested equipment

As a first press I suggest a bench mounted single station press to learn the techniques and "problem solving" of re-loading. Later, if you want more production consider a progressive press.

You'll also need:

A re-loading manual (or several manuals).
F/L Sizer Two Die set (or 3 die set).
Shell holder.
A way to clean dirty cases (liquid cleaner or tumbler/vibratory machine w/ media or a wipe down w/rag).
A way to de-prime military cases (regular die or universal de-capper or hammer and anvil method).
A way to de-crimp military cases (swage or ream).
A way to prime cases (on press or off press).
A way to lube cases (what lube and applied w/fingers or pad with lube or spray lube).
A way to test your re-sized cases (case gauge or actual rifle chamber).
Caliper (though, not absolutely needed if you use a case gauge).
A way to trim cases (hand powered or motorized).
A case de-bur/chamfer tool, if your trimmer didn't do it all in one pass.
A way to measure and dispense powder (dippers or disk measure or hopper/dispenser).
A way to weigh the powder (electronic or balance beam scale)
Powder.
Primers.
Bullets.
Cartridge cases.

These basic tools and components will do for simple ammunition production.

Lee

IF you're looking to go cheap (not a bad "cheap") consider Lee.  Shop for your best prices.  LEE products are frequently discounted

Lee makes good dies and include a shell holder and powder dipper w/load data chart.

When re-loading bottle neck cases (.223/5.56mm) to be used in a semi auto buy the full length re-sizer, two die set. Generally, you don't need a small base die set. If you want the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) they also have a three die set that includes it for a little extra.

When re-loading for straight walled pistol cases (e.g. 9mm, 45 ACP, .38 Special), Buy the carbide, three die set. The carbide re-sizer will eliminate the need to lube cases. And if  you want the Lee FCD, Lee has a four die set for most of the popular calibers.

There are many LEE single station presses to choose from.

www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1217810820.1709=/html/catalog/classic.html

www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1217810820.1709=/html/catalog/rlpress1.html

If you're in the market for a "kit." I like this one.

www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1217810820.1709=/html/catalog/rlpress2.html#breech

A good compromise between a single station and a progressive is a Turret Press........

www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1217810820.1709=/html/catalog/turretpress.html

Upgrading to a Progressive

A good press will last a lifetime and then some. Be it a LEE or RCBS or whatever other brand.I bought a lot of my starter equipment, USED. And, I still have a lot of it. My first press was a used RCBS Jr. and I later traded it for a used RCBS Rock Chucker. My friend wanted a smaller press and it was a straight across trade. So, how could I refuse?

After a long time of using a single station press I up-graded. I bought a Dillon. Later I bought three LEE M1000 presses (just for pistol calibers).
Even after I got the progressive presses there will always be a job for the single station press on my bench since.you don't really gain that much IF you're re-loading bottle necked cases. BECAUSE, of the case prep steps (case lube, military primer crimps and trimming cases).

However, a progressive press will really shine when you're doing straight walled cases with carbide dies.

The Reloading Process

Assuming you're using  a single stage press.

1) Inspect and clean the cases.  A liquid bath in hot water and dish soap will get them clean though, not shiny. Alternatively you can just wipe the cases off with a solvent dampened rag.

To clean with some shine, Birchwood Casey Case Cleaning Solution (#33845 CCI) is a fast and cheap way. Mix with water (follow the directions on the package) soak the brass, drain and dry. Save the solution as it can be re-used.

2) Set up your press with the shell holder and de-capper/FL re-sizer die.

3) Lube the cases. LEE lube (#90006) can be applied with fingers. Or, buy a spray on lube from one of the "other brands."

4) Then, run some test cases through the die, it'll de-cap/re-size the brass in one pass.

5) The secret to re-loading a bottle neck cartridge is a case gauge. There are many different brands and ways to gauge your re-loads. I use a Forster Products case gauge (the Wilson or Dillon case gauges are also popular choices).

Examples of various gauges……..

www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REMTHT&type=store  

Using a case gauge, check the brass to ensure that the proper re-size, has been achieved. Insert a case into the case gauge. The headstamped end of the case, needs to be at or between the high and low cuts on the gauge, to pass. This checks the headspace. While the other end, is used to check if the case will need to be trimmed (a job for later on).

If it’s not the “correct size,” your die setting will need adjustment. Lower the ram and simply screw the die in or out a little. Don’t forget about the lock nut. Then, re-size another couple of test cases and check your work again. Repeat the test and adjustments, as needed.

You can read this link for more information:

www.chuckhawks.com/adjust_reloading_dies.htm  

6) When you're satisfied that your test cases are properly re-sized, do the entire lot.

7) Trimming brass. Remember the case gauge? Well, if your brass failed the gauge test, you will need to trim the brass. Or check the brass length with a caliper.

The cheapest way to trim brass, is with the Lee case trimmer. You'll need the cutter & lock stub and shell holder & case length gauge tools. The assembled trimmer runs on hand power or with a drill. Once the trimming is done, use a chamfer/reamer tool (LEE #90109) to "knock off the edge" on the newly cut case necks.

8) Clean the brass to take off the lube.......repeat, Step #1.

9) Then, re-prime the cases with a new primer.

The Lee auto prime hand tool makes fast work of this job. BTW, you'll need a special shell holder (not your reg. press shell holder) made especially for the Lee auto prime or .use your press mounted primer tool.

10) After the cases have been re-primed, place the cases in a loading block.

11) Using a simple powder measure, calibrate it to throw the weight of powder charge that you want.

12) Check the thrown weight with your scale.

13) When you're satisfied that the weight is correct, charge each of the cases with powder.

14) Next, remove the de-capper/re-sizer die from the press and replace it with the bullet seating die. Then, place the bullet on top of the opening of the case neck. Run the case w/bullet into the bullet seating die.

15) Inspect your rounds. You're done.

Crimped primer pockets in military cases:

If you’re dealing with military cases add these steps...........

1) With once fired military brass, this next step only has to be done once. You could de-cap primers with the standard de-cap/re-sizer die. Though due to the primer crimp, there is a high incidence of parts breakage. IMHO, de-cap the once fired military brass using either, a “universal” de-capper die or with a skinny nail/punch and anvil (with a hole in it, large enough for the old primer to fall out of, but still support the case rim). Or, buy the LEE military primer de-capper set (#90102-.30 cal., #90103-.22 cal.). Simply, run the nail/punch down through the case neck. The nail will enter the flash hole and rest against the old primer. Put the case on the anvil (old primer centered over the anvil’s hole). Then, with a hammer knock out the old primer, letting the old primer fall through the hole in the anvil. Yes, the military crimp is sometimes that stubborn.

2) Again, since we’re using once fired military brass, this next step has to be done only once. The primer crimp will need to be removed. The crimp gets either swaged or reamed/cut. My friend has a Dillon swage and I use a Lyman hand reamer/cutting tool. Both can do the job..One is cheaper. Lyman hand reamer (#7777785 Large, #7777784 Small). I do the crimp removal while watching TV. It's as simple as: pick up a case, insert the tool into the primer pocket and twist, remove case.

Commercial cases usually don't have a primer crimp to bother with so these steps can be omitted. Likewise, for the next time you load these “already treated” military cases.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fenderfreek:

I second the tack request, unfortunately, once tacked, no one will read it

Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: putiton11] [#3]
YIKES  nice   to much info
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of good info, thanks for the post.  Very tack-worthy
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a comment - avoid using Brasso in your tumbler. Brasso contains ammonia which will weaken the brass of your cases. Instead, use an ammonia-free polish like Dillon  rapid polish.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 5:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Speaking of unread tacked threads;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=258520

Your moderator has set up a device so that anyone can in effect tack any thread they want.  They'll stay unread, too.

This thread has the archive status toggled, so now I will wait to find out what happens next.

The first page of the reloading and other tech forums should show ONLY tacked threads and FAQ's.  You have have to click your way to the first page of forum posts.  Aside from getting yelled at for my post's, if you are two frickin' lazy or dumb to do even 5 minutes research, I'm not smart enough to help you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
We should have a tacked "Getting Started" thread IMHO.  With links the tutorials, FAQ's, equipment, TJ's and Mark's posts, etc.  Then reply to every "how do I get started" type of thread with with a link to the Tacked Thread then lock it as a dupe .  Sounds harsh but there's a new getting started post every day it seems and all the answers vary depending who replies at the time. As an example, the AR15 -> Ammunition forum has a tacked thread "ALL POSTS ABOUT THE PRICE AND AVAILABILITY OF AMMO GO HERE! " which corrals all the ammunition price and availability posts into one thread.  

Food for thought

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

A few of us newbies will read it.  But I could still ask all the basic questions if it makes you feel appreciated
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 12:22:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fefu23] [#10]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Speaking of unread tacked threads;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=258520

Your moderator has set up a device so that anyone can in effect tack any thread they want.  They'll stay unread, too.

This thread has the archive status toggled, so now I will wait to find out what happens next.

fenderfreek, Assaultrifler rewrote Mark's looonng 3 post text book months earlier.

LOVE IT!

Us re-loaders are so "high speed", we don't even need mods!

ETA: as long as some jackass dosent start tacking stupid stuff
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 12:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fefu23] [#11]
Originally Posted By ksJoe:
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

A few of us newbies will read it.  But I could still ask all the basic questions if it makes you feel appreciated

LOL, the more complicated the better

I love the hard ones(questions)

but he is right, it seems to be the load data that people ask for. Its tacked at the top of the page
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]
May want to modify the Case Lube section recommending One Shot case lube.
Either add to let it dry before sizing or a good plug for stuck case removal.
This seems to come up once a week also. Good article but will seldom be read.
The new guy's will keep asking the same questions and we will try to keep answering.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 9:38:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GSPatton] [#13]
I believe the "Redman powder tricker" is actually the Redding powder trickler.
I just spent 15 minutes trying to find a red man trickler, google search turned up some horrifying results.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 7:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 8:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911smith] [#15]
Boy, I must be dense. First off. Thanks Thomas Jefferson. You mind if I repost in Missouri HTF ? In a few weeks we're doing a Mizzoura Homeboyz reloading class and this thread would be perfect to link to,  at least.

That said. there must be a disconnect of reality for me. I thought one of the first things we do here. (Some of us) Is welcoming new reloaders and suggesting what to read and where. I know.... No one likes to read as suggested by the what's " the charge range " threads.

Nothing comes easy or quick in this hobby guys. What knowledge you have is from study. What lessons you get are from hard fought trials and research. You get that from reading. We can point you in the right direction but damned if we can make you read. (Where is that damned horse?)

AeroE made the thread gateway so we don't have a page full of "interesting and useful threads". Not to mention the ones who've done the "tutorials". There's two places that contain a wealth of information. Information that many of us point newcomers to daily. (Time to beat another horse, next.)
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy necropost. But that was still fun to read
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice, thanks for putting this together!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Stupid question. I've read the threads and may have skimmed over what i am asking but here it goes. How do you determine bullet seat depth and adjust it on your equipment? Is it just a trial and error? Sacrifice a few casings to get your stuff to the right adjustment?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HardwarePro:
Look at Step 12 here:
www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=469
View Quote

Missed that. Thank you
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for this info.  Read this and I am starting out.  I already have a very good reloading bench.  Just bought a Lyman kit and accessories.  Looking forward to reloading.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
So here's what I'm afraid to ask. Been looking up through several guides/lists lately, but I still haven't found a single source that details out how much it actually costs to reload with a price breakdown. Powder, bullets, and primers aren't reusable and brass sometimes can be if you're able to pick them back up. (Shooting at an indoor range or a bench and not moving around)
I have about a $2000-$3000 budget in mind after I move next year for a really nice reloading setup that will hopefully enable me to enjoy a crap ton of ammo. Not many people here mention the Dillon Super 1050, but I'm guessing because it's a really high end setup. But I'm trying to create a spreadsheet of just how much it costs per round to reload with and without brass for certain calibers just to try and envision how much money I'd be saving over say... a period of 10 years of shooting.
Any good sources to find that kind of information out? How much it costs to reload each round with and without replacement brass cost for 9mm, .45ACP, 5.7mm, 5.56, .308, .50BMG, and maybe even 7.62x39 and 5.45x39?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#28]
In bulk.

I forgot to add the key thing I wanted to ask!

How much have prices been rising and how has supply been? Future still bright regarding this?

I just remember hearing a bunch of people at the gun store sad about how there was never any primers or other reloading supplies during the last panic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flyby1971] [#30]
The supply just kind of depends upon where you are shopping. Here in N. ID we have quite the ample stock on shelves. A bit pricey but not to bad. ($34.79 for a brick of primers) Also depends on the demand. We have plenty of powder at the LGS ($20-25 per lb) but is plentiful. I would suggest if it is something that your planning on doing. Start grabbing a brick(bottle etc.) or two while it's on the shelf. Shop on the web Auctions and start bidding for a cheaply priced item (brass Etc.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnson184] [#31]
Been googling up swaging... maybe I'm just an idiot at this stuff, but I still don't understand it. Can someone please explain it to me like I'm 5?

My goal is to get into reloading after this school semester ends over the summer as I just don't have the time to even reload right now even if I knew everything about reloading.
Calibers I'd like to reload are 9mm, 5.56, and .308 primarily with possibly .45 and even 300 blackout or 5.7mm in the future.
Been eyeing the Dillon 550 and the Super 1050, and the Super 1050 seems like a really nice setup aside from initial cost. Just a lot less human involvement on my end besides placing the bullet each time. I hear changing the Super 1050 out for caliber conversions is pricey and extremely slow, but I never hear exactly why it's such a slow process. Does it really take 30 minutes to an hour??

And this may be a dumb assumption... but from what I've read, it can cost $300-$500 easily to get caliber conversions for the Super 1050... at that price... might it be more prudent to just acquire an additional Dillon 550 instead for that lesser used caliber? lol

Also from my research... it seems 9mm and 5.56 both use small primers so if I were to get a Dillon Super 1050 set up for one... I'd just have to change out the top portion for a faster caliber conversion. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:35:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xacex] [#32]
Swaging is the way most factory bullets are made. At home for 223 bullets you can take a 22lr shell that has been fired, put it on a pin that is slightly smaller than 22 or 22 cal that then goes into a die on your press. This takes the rim off, and leaves you with a brass shell with no rim. You aneal these now to make them soft and easy to form for the next steps. You then cast or use lead wire of the appropriate size, and make a slug that goes inside of your empty shell, and squish it in real good. The next step is to start forming a bullet in a forming die in the press. You push the case with the lead in it up into the die, and it forms the bullet shape. Extra lead usually squishes out of the top. At this point you can load and shoot, but most put in one more die that forms the tip nice and pointy. These die sets are not cheap, and cost about 1200$ on up for a starter set for 223. Castboolits has a section just for swaging. I would suggest checking it out.
If you are starting out I would just stick with the 550. It is a great press that holds its value, and when you want to upgrade you will get your money out of it. I am cheap, and just use a lee loadmaster for progressive, and their classic turret press for other stuff. Works just fine, but I am a tinkerer.
I would leave swaging, and casting out for a while until you get a hang of things. It is a whole other process to learn, and perfect.If you want to try casting the 300 blackout is a great candidate, 223 can be frustrating because of the size of the boolits.  45, and 9mm cast fine, and work well powder coated. I would not do 9mm unless powder coated for starters like yourself. 9mm can be finicky due to variance to bore diameter, and a tapered case.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Swaging is casting?? I thought it was something to do with taking out a primer and resetting it for regular primers from military style crimping or something.

Bump though for the Dillon 550/1050 primer sizing questions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Johnson184:
Swaging is casting?? I thought it was something to do with taking out a primer and resetting it for regular primers from military style crimping or something.

Bump though for the Dillon 550/1050 primer sizing questions.
View Quote

Yes, it can mean that as well. Swaging is not casting, but a way to make bullets with jackets. The Dillon super swage 600 puts a rod in the primer pocket to squish out the crimp. You dont have to swage your primer pockets, a case mouth reamer will remove the little lip or "crimp" that NATO ammo has on it with just a twist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#37]
Bump to keep this out of the archives

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Not needed as this thread has been toggled to keep it out of the archives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nightdh:
Bump to keep this out of the archives

Not needed as this thread has been toggled to keep it out of the archives.

Awesome! I didn't know that was possible without being tacked.

[/derailing]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Wonderful thread. Exactly what I needed to know to figure out if I want to get into reloading.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Their loss. Some of us have learned that the best place to start with any new topic are the stickies at the top of the appropriate forum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I wish everyone would.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top